Bass Fishing in Lake Santeetlah


A couple of days ago, my friend Earl took me bass fishing on Lake Santeetlah in Graham County. Earl is working on getting his qualifications together to become a fishing guide, so I am helping him by testing out his guiding skills. Like me, Earl is a teacher by day, but would love to make a living in the outdoor recreation industry.

Earl and I have fished the creeks of Western North Carolina together for years and have similar skills there, but lake fishing is a whole new ballgame for me. I estimate that he spends more than 100 days on the water in any given year, so he knows how to find fish. 

We set out from Massey Branch boat ramp south of Robbinsville and headed down the lake toward the mouth of one of the many creeks that flow into Lake Santeetlah, called West Buffalo. We were soon trolling a cove and throwing sinking worms against the bank. Earl explained that this time if year, the water temperature is just right and the bass will start spawning. During this time, you can usually coax a bite from a fish that feels like you're getting too close to the nest. 

It wasn't long before I had by first large mouth! I ended up catching three for the day, but missed at least three times that. Since I wasn't a paying client, Earl fished along with me and ended up with at least eight fish, a combination of largemouth and smallmouth bass.

My first largemouth bass - weighed in just over a pound.

In our conversation, he pointed out that the bass in Santeetlah are small compared to other regional lakes. In response to this, there is no limit to the number of fish under 14 inches that you can keep I a day. The biologists hope that this will help to thin the population, resulting in fewer but healthier fish. 

I also learned that the NCWRC has released grass carp into the lake in the hopes of controlling some of the weeds that are crowding out the banks. A few years ago as part of the relicensing agreement for Santeetlah dam, the decision was made not to draw the lake down in the winter like many other regional lakes. This has led to grass and weeds taking over the banks because they don't die off in the winter like they used to.

Santeetlah is one of the most beautiful lakes you will ever find, in any state. It has become a draw for people all over North Carolina and the southeast. This is mainly due to the large proportion of undeveloped lakeshore. At least 70 percent of the lake shore is Forest service land or national forest and will not be developed. Compared to lakes such as Lake Burton in north Georgia, this is practically uninhabited. Lake houses (when they become available) sell for $500,000 or more as people discover what an treasure Lake Santeetlah is. Fishing, skiing and kayaking are all activities easily enjoyed on the wide open waters of Lake Santeetlah.

We wrapped up the day with a picture-perfect sunset over Funnel Top (a landmark for all on Santeetlah) and just one more cast...


If you're in the market for an amazing day on the water surrounded by gorgeous mountains and solitude, let me know and I'll pass you along to my buddy Earl.

Comments

Popular Posts